Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding Week: THE BIG DAY!!!


Well, folks, the big day has come and gone and I would love to know...what did you think?!?! I have to say that when my alarm clock went off at 4:30 this morning, it was the earliest I have ever voluntarily woken up. And instead of hitting snooze 89 times like I normally do, I jumped out of bed, wide-eyed, and raced over to the TV as if my very own prince was going to pop out of it like a jack-in-the-box. It's no secret that London is my favorite city, that I love British culture and am fascinated by the royal family. So I was kind of surprised this week when reading so many negative comments about the royal wedding. To all of you cynics out there...yes, America is celebrity obsessed and yes, the media coverage on the event has been overwhelming and yes, there are much much much more serious news stories taking place. The world isn't exactly a joyous place right now. But isn't that exactly why we need hopeful celebrations like this today? To remind us that true fairy tales really do exist. Personally, I shed a few tears this morning watching the royal nuptials. Not only for the lucky couple, but for the spirit of a country that had so much joy in celebrating with them. The pomp and circumstance, the traditions, the national pride and the shear history behind it all - I loved every second and only wish I could have been there!
As for THE DRESS, the Duchess of Cambridge (nee Kate Middleton) chose Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, as was speculated. I won't lie, I wasn't very impressed at first. After months and months of hype, I expected to be completely blown through the roof with amazement. But it quickly grew on me - the lace sleeves, lace V-neck overlay reminiscent of Grace Kelly, the skirt that was juuuuust grand enough and the elegantly pleated train - it was classic, sophisticated and traditional, just as a royal should be. I think because I expected her to wear Alexander McQueen, I anticipated a style slightly more edgy and modern with a real wow factor, but I kept having to remind myself that this is not just any celebrity wedding. This is Westminster Abbey and, in the end, she chose a beautiful gown that fit her classically elegant style and will stand the test of time. Rumors are that Kate has a total of 3 dresses planned for today's celebrations. I hope we'll catch glimpses of the others soon! And how can I not mention Pippa's dress, also by Sarah Burton? Absolutely stunning!!!

What about you? Did you wake up early to watch the wedding? What did you think of it all? Did you like the dress?

Images via People.

No comments: