Monday, April 11, 2011

Art Corner: Yellow Korner

Over the weekend, I discovered my new go-to for great art at even better prices - Yellow Korner. Created in 2006 by two photography enthusiasts, Yellow Korner is based on a concept that I am all for - making art accessible to more people, regardless of price. Coming from an art business background, the one thing I've always disliked about the international art market is its inaccessibility to the masses. Buying good art, traditionally, has only been for the very wealthy and very elite. Alexandre de Metz and Paul-Antoine Briat, the two behind this great business idea, were also frustrated that they could not afford to purchase an original photograph...and so began Yellow Korner.

Working to connect the world's most talented young photographers with a new audience, Yellow Korner makes art accessible by publishing a greater number of photographic prints at lower prices - essentially instead of producing 10 prints at $5,000, they make 500 prints at $100. Each photograph is a gelatin silver print available in a number of different size formats and reproduced in an open edition or a limited edition, with limits of 30, 80, 150, 200 or 500. Prints are then numbered and sold with a certificate of authenticity, all under the oversight of the original artist. The result? An outlet for photographic expression without forfeiting high artistic standards.

With galleries throughout Europe and the United States, Yellow Korner juxtaposes promising contemporary artists with those at the forefront of the art form, such as Dorothea Lange and Man Ray. On my first visit, I was introduced to two new artists that I fell in love with, Götz Göppert, whose work really reminds me of Massimo Vitali, and Kourtney Roy.
(Kourtney Roy, Self-Portrait Poppies 2)
 (Kourtney Roy, Self-Portrait Hotel 1)
(Kourtney Roy, Self-Portrait Poppies 1)
(Götz Göppert, Beach 2)
(Götz Göppert, Beach 3)
(Massimo Vitali, Scala Dei Turchi #3851)

The day after discovering this gem for myself, I was visiting the new apartment of good friends in NYC and saw this guy hanging on the wall...
(Laurent Baheux, Lion in the wind)

Recognizing the lion series and loving the impact the large photograph made in their newly decorated apartment, I asked my friend where she got it. "This really cool place called Yellow Korner," she said. Well, it seems that people are catching on!

Because I am such a huge advocate of making art accessible to a larger audience, so begins a new series here on Sand Dune Lane, Art Corner! Check back for new avenues of finding great works of art at prices we can all enjoy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need to go there... those Goppert beach shots are fantastic!