Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Red Carpet Review: 2011 Golden Globes

I should have posted this yesterday, but it was the Monday that just wouldn't end until I passed out on my couch, glass of wine still in hand, while watching The Bachelor, so please forgive me.

Sunday's Red Carpet extravaganza at the Golden Globes can be summed up in one word...interesting. Many fashion risks were taken - some I loved, some were so-so, and some were just plain awful (ahem Scarlet Johanson). But I have to say that I was entertained by celebrities stepping away from the comfort zone of ruffly ballgowns and subdued blushy nude colors. You really didn't know who was going to show up in what in what next. Whether it was good or bad, we were always surprised. And THAT I loved.

While nudes and beiges certainly still reigned, several other trends prevailed - namely long sleeves, pouffy shoulders, low scooping backs, black, red, and emerald. Oooooh the emerald! Some of my favorites...
 Eva Longoria in Zac Posen. THIS is what you do after a big break-up! She looks like she was poured into this classy yet stunningly sexy black fishtail gown. Sorry, Tony Parker!
Mila Kunis in Vera Wang. This color is beautiful on her, it is gorgeously draped and it fits her perfectly. Mila is stepping out as a true movie star in this gown.
Lea Michelle in Oscar de la Renta. The color, the fit, the ruffles - all gorgeous. This is A LOT of dress and she carried it off with confidence.
Leighton Meester in Burberry. I know a lot of you may disagree, but I really did like this look. It's soft, feminine and on trend. Her hair and makeup were so pretty as well.
Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad. This actually really grew on me. I thought it was a very elegant choice and very unexpected for her.
Emma Stone in Calvin Klein. A minimalist style with a perfect fit, perfectly bright refreshing color, and perfect plunging scoop-back. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.
Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive. My second favorite dress of the night. Love this sleek and shimmery departure from the traditional red carpet gown. The plunging back gave that extra wow factor and her body looked amazing. I don't mind the pouffy sleeves at all - she was taking a risk, having fun with it, and it showed. Bravo!
 January Jones in Versace. All I have to say is WOW. I wish I had the you-know-whats to wear this stunning dress. But she did and accessorized with the right hairstyle, she looked fabulous. Risky? Yes. But I appreciated it.
 Julianne Hough in Marchesa. Obsessed with the decorative neck on this otherwise simple black column dress.
And my pick for best dressed? Claire Danes in Calvin Klein. The pink color was strikingly beautiful (now I see why it's Pantone's color of 2011) and the fit was impeccable. She looked young, fresh and radiant. She was also my pick for best dressed at the Emmy Awards in her amazing sparkly nude Armani Prive number. 

Here are my eeehhh looks. Didn't love them, didn't hate them. But I definitely expected more out of most of these stars...
Sandra Bullock in Jenny Packham. I love Jenny Packham and I probably would have loved this look had it not been for Sandra's horrible sheepdog bangs! 
Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace. Eh. A lot of people loved this dress. I just didn't. Perhaps it's because I'm not the biggest Angelina fan in the first place, but she can do better. Way better. While I do love the emerald green and the sparkle, this dress is a little too Dynasty. This fabric done in a completely different style could have been lovely.
Olivia Wilde in Marchesa. LOVED LOVED LOVED this dress! However, she totally ruined it for me with her hair and shoes. She should have gone with a simple updo and silver non-clog non-studded shoes.
Megan Fox in Armani Prive. Eh.
Helena Bonham Carter in Vivienne Westwood. I know, I know, I know - it's bad. But you know what? She's quirky and she owns it. And I'm fine with that. It takes all kinds, folks;)

Aaaand finally, my picks for worst dressed...
Heidi Klum in Marc Jacobs. Eeeek!!! I've lost all faith in her as Project Runway host and judge.
Nicole Kidman in Prada. Boooooooring!
Natalie Portman in Viktor & Rolf. Ick ick ick. This looks like Valentine's Day gone all wrong. I can only imagine that dressing a baby bump is incredibly frustrating, but Natalie Portman is the darling of this awards season and I expected much better. What was her stylist thinking???
Christina Aguilera in Zuhair Murad. Too small. Too tacky. The lace, the sequence, the tight fit, the fishtail - too much! And it simply did not fit her right.
Sofia Vergara in Vera Wang. Ok Sofia, we get it, you're sexy. But she could have shown it off in a classier more understated gown. I didn't like the color of this one or the corseted back. I would have loved to see her in a deep rich purple or teal.
Halle Berry in Nina Ricci. I think she got lost on her way to perform as a Vegas showgirl. 
Julianne Moore in Lanvin. The shocking pink color and gold neckline of this dress are beautiful, but that one sleeve looks like a satin garbage bag! If this dress was done in a more simple one-shoulder but sleeveless style, it could have been classy, elegant and stunning.
Michelle Williams in Valentino. No comment.
Tina Fey in L'Wren Scott. The color is a bit blah. The ruffled sleeves look strange. And pardon me, but is that velvet???
My pick for worst dressed! Scarlet Johansson in Elie Saab. It was a hard choice between her and Michelle Williams, but I literally gasped when I first saw Scarlet Johansson on the red carpet. WHAT ON EARTH was she thinking? She looks like Bride of Frankenstein. The dress itself isn't so bad, but a girl as beautiful as Scarlet should be showing a little more skin and making a much bigger statement, especially coming fresh off a divorce. Plus, the hair ages her 20 years. Horrible!!!

No comments: