Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflections: Sayonara, 2010. Bring on 2011!



This has been one roller coaster of a year for me, one that seemed to repeatedly knock me down instead of lift me up. I can wholeheartedly say that I have never ever been so ready for a new year, new beginnings, and better things to come. Nevertheless, I always feel it's crucial to maintain some perspective - while it's easy to think that the grass is always greener, it's so important to appreciate the good things I have, however small, and to be grateful for the tremendous blessings that so often go overlooked like health, family and good friends.


I make resolutions every year (only half of which I end up keeping). I don't know anyone who doesn't hope for a better job, more money, a dream relationship, or to lose those extra 5 lbs. But sometimes life throws you a curveball (or two or three), plans change and goals get put on the back burner. So this year, instead of making resolutions, I am making a personal promise to myself. Ok, a few...

I promise that no matter how crazy, good or bad, life gets, I will take a step back and give myself a reality check. At the end of the day, I am one lucky girl! Seriously. I've got my health, a roof over my head, a loving family and the most amazing, supportive, understanding, thoughtful, fun and downright hysterical group of friends a girl could ask for. As we all know, these things can be swept away in the blink of an eye so I promise to never again take advantage of them. When the desire for a better job, successful relationship, skinnier body, more money, or closet packed with the newest fashions overwhelms me, I promise to give myself a swift kick in the rear, step back and think of how lucky I already am, without any of that stuff.


In the same vain, I promise to continue being a good daughter, sister and friend. I value my relationships over anything else and I hope I can continue to build on them, remaining loyal, supportive and understanding.

I promise to not settle. I have goals and I want to achieve them. I promise to never again lose sight of my dreams to work to hard to get there. This may mean gaining courage, taking risks and challenging myself, but I will do it. It's easy to look back with regret and say "shoulda, coulda, woulda," but only I have the power to change my path and to make my dreams become reality. I promise to live by the words of Henry David Thoreau, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined!"

Finally, I promise to sometimes put me first and to better myself through new experiences. Whether that means taking the painting or photography class I've always said I would, planning a trip somewhere new near or far, meeting new people, getting that pilates teaching certification, taking a vacation alone, or making it a point to visit museums I've never been to, I promise to broaden my horizons, step outside my comfort zone and to become a better me. As my style icon, Diane Von Furstenberg, so wisely says, "You're always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company."

So, while I was completely content with spending this New Year's Eve on my couch in my pajamas with a bottle of wine, a pint of Chunky Monkey, the Felicity box set (Ben, if you're out there, I Love You) and to sleep through the remainder of this rocky 2010, I have decided to embrace life and luck, to throw on a hot pink party dress and to spend the night with friends toasting personal promises, the good things in life and what is sure to be a fabulous new year! I hope you all will do the same:)


No comments: