Monday, December 20, 2010

Home Envy: Lulu Powers

Despite the craziness of the holiday season (with Christmas only 5 days away, I STILL haven't finished my shopping), I finally found some time this weekend to catch up on some shelter mag reading, both print and online. Every page of the December Lonny issue really blew me away. But I have to say my favorite feature was on the home of LA caterer and entertainer Lulu Powers, dubbed "the next Martha Stewart." Her 1927 West Hollywood bungalow, which Powers shares with her husband, photographer Steven Danelian, is filled with objects they love and have collected. "I always want to see things that make me happy," she says. "I learned it from my mom, to just be sure to make everything pretty." Love her approach to style. Her knack for entertaining is clearly translated to her bright, warm and stylishly lived-in home.
What a great holiday themed display on the coffee table. Powers used pomegranates, moss, twigs and mushrooms to add a natural look to gold candles and red and gold ornaments. The amazing photograph behind the sofa is by her husband. Front and center on the sofa is a beautiful cushion by Alice Temperley for The Rug Company. Those great blue lamps are from Retro Gallery. I wish I knew what the paint color on the wall was!

Her laid-back bedroom.

I've been looking for inspiration for a small office "nook" in my new apartment and this one fits the bill. The mix of photographs is a great source of creative vision, while the large desk space is perfect for spreading out and the crystal lamps with pink shades add just the right amount of feminine touch.

Inspired by an Hermes box (I knew there was a reason I liked Lulu), this seating area is made up of a media cabinet from CB2 and custom-made cushions. Mirror from Dragonette Ltd.

As I put the finishing touches on my shopping, wrapping, cooking and baking, I hope you all enjoy this week leading up to Christmas. Take some time to revel in the season - indulge in Christmas cookies, go for a drive around your neighborhood and delight in the decorations and lights, come up with the perfect gift idea for a loved one, go caroling, or simple snuggle up with a soothing cup of hot chocolate and Love Actually. 'Tis the season:)

No comments: